Tuesday 15 March 2011

You should never look in cellars or lofts!

Well as promised I removed the IRS unit from the E Type today. Looking under ones E Type is like looking in ones cellar or loft.  Not something one should do!  Its never a pretty sight, and my beloved E is no different Yuk!  I hope someone is a good welder.  And a fairly unpleasant job it was too!  Well the only bad thing about it really was grappling around on the floor of my garage in the dust with bits of rust falling in my eyes and hair.  Good fun this restoration game.  Pretty straight forward though really, a few rusty bolts to take care of with the angle grinder and my cutting disc but all in all it was easy.  The only tough bit was that the front radius arms were seized onto their mountings but they came off with a judicioius use of the right foot.  The IRS looks ok, but someone has taken a short cut for cahnging brake pads and cut open the aperture in the body above the axle.  I have to say , that the flip side of buying such a wonderful old motor that has been off the road for so much time, is that much of what I am undoing is pretty dry and rusty.  That said it comes off eventually.  Clamped off the rear brake hose but not sure I should have bothered as it doesnt look like there is any brake fluid in there.  Anyway,  I am enjoying myself, keeping out of mishief and dreaming of flying over the Great Train Robbery Bridge.  Lets make a date!  Anyone who feels up for it, I will take her upto Leighton Buzzard when she is done, and we can find a nice little pub for some lunch afterwards.  Great Photo opportunity. Cheers

No comments:

Post a Comment