Tuesday 29 March 2011

What a mucky job

Well I had a bit of time today, free from the rigours of work for a day, and able to spend some quality time with my new love.  Today was the day that I got down and dirty with the rear suspension.  Some jobs I enjoy on restorations , and some I spend most of my time wishing that I had already finished them.  Its a sort of masochism based upon the old premise, that its a dirty job but someone has to do it.

The first mistake that I made today was that I used up 10 pairs of surgical gloves.  Everytime the phone rang, I had to take off my bright green marigolds and then they turn inside out you have to dump them.  Well I suppose you could turn them outside in again, but you would likely get more oily than if you had not bothered to wear them in the first place. So an expensive day on the glove front. 

Second, pain in the backside was that whilst most of the nuts, bolts and split pins on the IRS came apart with gay abondon, the circlips holding the Universal Joints in were mostly seized in their slots.  This entailed much handling of the greasiest bit I have found on the car to date.  In may ways, I am pleased to see that the car had been well serviced prior to being laid up as the grease was plentiful, but it does make for a horrible job.  Anyway, all my tools are now covered in a nasty mix of rust and grease and will require a thorough cleaning before using them next. 




So , we now have the IRS in bits, the diff ready to go off the reconditioners, and I am now going to have to order a whole load of new nuts bolts and seals to put this unit back together.  But hey.  what else could I be doing with my time,  I mean who wants to be Spring Skiing in the Alps anyway?

No comments:

Post a Comment