Sunday 6 March 2011

Its coming to bits now!





I have decided to get on with the strip down as quickly as practical, and so today, the bonnet came off , the air cleaner, carburettors , radiator, header tank and various bits and bobs.  Mostly all the screws are coming off easily.  The car has the usual rust and I have to say the front subframe looks like its past its best to be honest.  I had always factored in that I would buy a new front end.  Its just not worth the risk of running a fast car like an E Type with a dubious front end.  Anyway,  I am working towards getting the engine and box our next.  I did spend a bit of time yesterday and got the engine running.  Its sounded really quite good and was on 6 cylinders. It gave the project a heartbeat as far as I am concerned.  Just wondering about who to get to rebuild the engine.  I may well do this myself yet, but I am of the opinion that with the various developments that many of the better engine rebuilders now incorporate, it may be best to sub it out.  Plus they have all the tools on site to machine, so all I would end up doing would be re assembly after having the machining done.  We will see.  Also, thinking of sending the carburettors off to be refurbished.  Anyone know who does the best job of these?  Want them back all polished and linkages plated etc. 

No comments:

Post a Comment