Thursday 27 September 2012




Here are some rather poor photos of the finished IRS.  If I dont ever have to rebuild another of these it will still be too soon.  Seriously, this is a job that in itself is not difficult but would be far easier if you had done them before.  I found that although the book says that the calipers can be fitted once the diff is in the carrier frame, its a lot easier if it was done before.  Also, whilst my paint does look very nice and shiny its a nightmare as there are so many machine fit faces which all have to be clear of paint or else they would not fit home well.   Being an early 3.8 the caliper fixing bolts are safety wired.  Try doing that once the diff is in the carrier.

Then there is the rather unhelpful but true comment made by a friend of mine.   "looks great but what a shame it wont be seen by anyone once its in the car"  Great.  Anyway, on the positive, its done, and it is a major part of the car and will enable me to get the car back on its rear wheels pretty soon after I get the body back from the rebuilders. 

Meanwhile I have also fitted up the heater box.   Really pleased with that, only have to make sure it doesnt get chipped before its fitted to the car.

Carbs are fully restored and I will post some photos tomorrow.


2 comments:

  1. Andrew, the heater box restoration looks very nice. Did you refurbish the Smiths motor? I fitted a Pontiac Fiero motor for higher airflow, not original but better for hot days without an air conditioning unit fitted. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi there. Thanks for the comments and question. I did refurbish the existing motor. I was concerned that all of the replacement motors available were a different size and design to the original. I had the motor refurbished by one of the large Jaguar parts companies. Hope this helps.

      Delete